Friday, October 23, 2009

Where is my identity?

So this is a subject that I sometimes get embarrassed by because I am ashamed by the way I feel sometimes. But a very close friend to me open up on her testimony/story and I thought I could share just alittle about mine. I tend to look around a various people all the time and admire their skin on their face, strange I know but I do! Ever since we moved to Mississippi my skin has gone to puts! Now I have always had an issue with acne but it has never been as severe has it is now. There have been many days that I would just sit in front of the mirror and just cry! Now I know that just seems so vain, but I just would. Ok somebody can just say how horrible that is. And I hear all the time you were created in God and in His image so you are not ugly! But I really just got so tired of hearing that, I know they meant well it just was not sinking in! My poor hubby he always tries to offer me the most kind, beautiful words about how beautiful he thinks I am, but it still was just not enough. See I am also the kind of person that tries not the leave the house without make-up and it is really not for me, it is because I want people to see how well my wonderful husband takes care of me! Well I have been praying for God to help me through this because it was taking over and I was not able to be the person God wanted me to be for Him, and that was making me angry, which then is horrible in itself! UGGGHHH!! I kept trying to tell myself "Amber it does not matter how you look, it is who you are" and I was fine until I would go look in the mirror, then it would start all over again. Well low and behold I was listening to our christian station in Oxford and they was a commercial about how girls are too obsessed with how they look on the outside and not on the inside. Can you say WOW!! that hit me in the gut, I should be more concerned about how I look in Christ then how I look on the outside! Well that really changed my outlook and I have been striving everyday to keep that attitude, it is a daily struggle but the Lord is helping me each day! I know we all have flaws and insecurities about ourselves and I also believe that is why it is so important for us as women to help each other out because I bet you can't name me one person who does not struggle with some kind of image issue, and we should try to lift one another up offer up compliments, because we could all use a bit of boost. But just keep in mind where your real identity is! There is a song from Jonny Diaz that is just awesome "More beautiful you" I will post a few of the lyrics so that I do not have somekind of copyright lawsuit on my hands but you should listen to the whole song it is just awesome! "There could never be a more beautiful you Don't buy the lies disguises and hoops they make you jump through You were made to fill a purpose that only you could do So there could never be a more beautiful you" Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices. And have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. ~Colossians 3:9-10 (NIV)

No comments: